Date: January 2012
GMoto Imports Pty Ltd (ABN 92 002 225 130) (“GMoto”) respects your privacy and is committed to the protection of it.
Why and when GMoto collects your information.
- Personal information you give us GMoto collects the information you give us either online or by email, post, facsimile, face to face, over the phone or through our reseller channel, including wholesalers and partners. In most cases, the personal information GMoto will collect from you is the personal information we are required to obtain and pass on to the relevant registry when you apply to register a domain name with or transfer a domain name to GMoto. This information includes your full name, mailing address, phone number, email address and where applicable, your facsimile number. GMoto also collects your payment details from you when you apply to register a domain name, such as your credit card number or bank account details.
If you purchase a digital certificate through us, we are required by the provider of those certificates to collect personal information from you to pass back to that provider. We will also collect your payment details from you such as your credit card number or bank account details.
If you consent to us referring you to a third party service provider, we will provide your contact details to that third party provider to enable them to contact you directly regarding their services.
You always have the option to disable cookies by turning them off in your browser. However, you should be aware that many of the services available on the GMoto website will not work if you have chosen to do this.
In addition to cookies, GMoto servers register the type of web browser you are using and your IP address when you access our website.
How GMoto uses your information
- Use of your information as required by ICANN or other domain administrators, or the registries ICANN (the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) is the organisation which governs the functions performed by both its accredited registrars (of which GMoto is one), and the registries in regulating the domain name registration process. ICANN requires that each of its registrars must make available the personal information we collect from you when you apply to register any generic top level domain names (ie., com, net, org, biz, info and name) to the public on a publicly accessible database known as the WHOIS database. In addition, it applies to some of the country code top level domains. For example, in Australia the personal information you supply to us in applying for a domain name registration for a com.au domain name, must be made public on the publicly accessible database run by the com.au registry.
The public policy behind this requirement is that the personal details of domain name licence holders should be freely available to all other users of the Internet. This public policy is adopted by the domain name industry as a whole. The requirement means,however, that GMoto will not be able to control how members of the public may use the information made available on these publicly accessible databases.
In addition, ICANN has another mandatory requirement that all its accredited registrars make the WHOIS database of personal information for com, net and org available for bulk downloads by third parties who have entered into a bulk access agreement with GMoto.
- Use of your information to fulfil our role as registrar
We will be contacting you and may use the personal details you provide to us, at the time you apply for a domain name registration with GMoto or during the licence period of your domain name registration with GMoto, to obtain relevant information from you with respect to your domain name application, or, to advise you of all relevant information relating to your domain name licence. This includes any account administration information including renewal information and billing information, as well as notices of any important system changes which will impact on your online interactions with us. Each of these functions is necessary if GMoto is to effectively fulfil its role as the registrar of your domain names.
- Other uses
- GMoto may use your information to measure your experience of our services and products, and to identify and inform you of new product developments and associated services that we believe will interest you. If you do not wish to receive email notices or other communications from GMoto regarding additional products and services, please contact us on 1300 654 677 and request to opt-out.
- We may use your information in statistical form to analyze your purchasing preferences. This information is not used to track your individual preferences but rather to give us a general picture of the products and services our customers prefer. We might also gather information in statistical form such as the number of visitors who visit the GMoto website on a daily basis. Again this is not used to track any individual customer’s browsing habits.
- We may use your email communications with GMoto to analyze customer service issues as a way of identifying potential improvements for GMoto products and services. In addition, we may occasionally monitor telephone conversations with you in order to facilitate staff training and to maintain our high levels of customer service. We will always inform you prior to any telephone conversation which is monitored in this way to obtain your prior approval.
- We may use your IP address to contact your Internet Service Provider to let you know of any problems with payments you have made to us where we believe this is reasonably necessary to protect against fraud and credit card misuse.
- We may use your information in order to contact you for marketing purposes including but not limited to new products, services, promotions, give-aways, renewal reminders, via email, facsimile, telephone, post and SMS. If you do not wish to receive any marketing communications from GMoto, you may opt-out and stop the delivery of future promotional material from GMoto by following the special instructions in the email you receive. These instructions will tell you how to remove your name from our promotional list.
Disclosure of your information to third parties
- International subsidiary companies
GMoto is based in Melbourne, Australia.
Any information which you supply to GMoto or any of its international subsidiary companies will be shared within the internal company group to facilitate our provision of products and services to you. Each of our international subsidiary companies is committed to protecting your personal information.
- Third party service providers
On occasion, we may supply your personal information to third parties to perform services on our behalf, such as the following:
- the distribution of marketing information to you (except where you have chosen to opt out of receiving this information from us);
- the supply of datacentre storage and maintenance services for our IT systems and infrastructure (by Australian or overseas providers);
- the supply of credit related services such as credit worthiness, credit provision and credit rating, or bank related services; or
- the supply of billing and payment services.
Our relationships with such third party service providers are governed by our contracts with them. Those service providers are required to hold your personal information strictly confidential.
Accuracy / Access
You may access and update the personal information we provide to the registries in respect of your domain name licence at any time. The procedure to do this is explained on the Help Centre on our website at http://www.melbourneit.com.au/help
If you believe that GMoto may hold other personal information about you which is inaccurate, or you wish to change or update any of the personal information you have provided, please contact us by using this web form and we will take reasonable steps to ensure that it is corrected.
The transfer of information across any media may involve a certain degree of risk, and the Internet is no different. However, helping you to keep your information secure is very important to GMoto.
In order to protect the security of personal information transmitted to GMoto online, our Web servers support the use of the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) Protocol where appropriate. Using this protocol, information transferred between our systems is encrypted.
In addition, in respect of any payment details you send to us, we reveal only the first six and last three digits of your credit card number on the tax invoice receipt which we send to you for billing purposes. This is to help keep your credit card details secure.
You can also use simple precautions to help protect your security, such as protecting against the unauthorised use of your username or password or other authentication id.